Admit it or not, a house with carpets is more visually pleasing to the eyes. It gives the impression of being classy, fashionable and trendy. Home improvement always includes having carpets in their list of suggestions, right? As a homeowner, it is completely understandable if you want to have carpets inside your home. But making your house more beautiful also comes with added responsibility. From cleaning to maintenance, you should know the basic things such as how to keep your carpets clean and how to protect them from damaging threats such as molds.
As they say, the best method to prevent molds from attacking your carpets is not to give them growth chance at all. So before anything else happens, here are some proven ways to prevent molds from growing in the first place.
- Alleviate the conditions of your home, both indoors and outdoors. But first, test the indoor humidity levels. With the help of dehumidifier tools, you can control the percentage of your household natural moisture down to 50%.
- Do not install carpets in parts of the house that are vulnerable to flooding or water intrusion. These areas are mostly the lower levels of your home such as the basement. And of course, common sense, never install carpets in your kitchen and bathroom. In case flooding occurred, all affected areas must be immediately dried and cleaned.
- Before carpet installation, make sure that the sub-flooring is completely dried.
- Schedule a regular cleaning routine for your carpets. Remember, you need to look not only at the bottom of your carpets or padding, but as well as the surface.
- If worse comes to worst and a part of your carpet was ruined by spills, moisture or flood, the best way is to cut the affected parts if you can’t replace it right away. But if majority of the carpet was affected, replacement is the best solution.
A single drop of water can spread along the fibers of your carpet quickly. That’s why threats like overflowing kitchen sinks, leaky roofs, and improper floor cleaning and washing of your carpets must also be looked upon. Keep in mind that molds can cause severe health symptoms such as lung infections, headache, nausea, flu like symptoms and lightheadedness. Molds should be one of the most unwelcomed visitors in your home. Better be safe than sorry with these simple prevention tips!
If mold growth has already invaded your home and is causing you headaches and troubles, you can always contact Fun Guy Inspection at 818-674-7541.