Mushroom Taco ‘Meat’
Mushrooms can really do it all … and here, they make a delicious ground meat substitute. When you dice the mushrooms finely, you achieve the perfect filling for tacos and bowls, or even a topping for a salad or pizza. It’s flavorful, spiced and full of plant-based deliciousness.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, very finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18 ounces portobello mushrooms, very finely diced
TECHNIQUE TIP: Dice mushrooms very finely to achieve a ground meat texture.
1. In a medium pot over medium heat, add olive oil.
2. When it starts to shimmer, add the diced yellow onion and cook until it starts to become browned around the edges. Add the garlic and sauté together until both the garlic and onions have a nice golden color.
3. Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté for a few minutes to toast the spices.
4. Add the finely diced mushrooms and cook on medium-low to medium, stirring often until the mushrooms reduce and darken in color. You can add a splash of water if anything starts to become too dry or burn.
5. Cook for about 20 minutes on medium-low until the mushrooms are extremely tender and flavorful.
Recipe Source: Mushroom Taco ‘Meat’ Recipe (today.com)