Dishwasher: Mold’s Perfect Haven
Molds are common in our homes. They are almost everywhere. They love to stay in our homes as much as we hate them. So, to continuously get rid of them, we identify where they love to grow. Warmth, moisture and organic matter like bits of food induce the growth of mold. So, if you are going to consider these things in finding where they grow, then there must be one place that should come to your mind – the dishwasher.
What causes mold to grow inside your dishwasher?
Unfortunately, your dishwasher which you use to clean your dishes and utensils is a perfect place for molds to grow. Its moist, dark and warm environment with bits of leftover food stimulates mold growth. So, let us discuss how the characteristics of a dishwasher make it a perfect ground for mold growth.
1. Moisture. Since the dishwasher uses water to clean the dishes and utensils, its wet environment makes it a good place for mold to grow.
2. Door Gaskets.
Although water and moisture get trapped in the door gasket, it is not cleaned throughout the dishwashing cycle. When food particles and dirt becomes damp, the possibility of mold growth increases.
3. Food particles.
If you are going to choose a place to live, you’re going to choose a place with lots of food, right? The same thing goes for molds. The food particles and leftover food attract the mold spores to grow inside the dishwasher.
4. Possible Leaking.
Leaks inside your dishwasher may increase the levels of moisture inside the dishwasher, causing the mold to easily grow.
How to Prevent This?
Nothing to worry! It’s not too late for you to prevent this. Here are some ways on how you can prevent mold growth inside your dishwasher.
- After using the dishwasher, open it and make sure to allow it to be completely dry before closing it. Another tip is that you can use the heat-dry function to dry the inside of the dishwasher and to prevent the growth of mold. Additionally, if you will not be using the dishwasher for a long time, keep it open to prevent moisture from building up inside it.
- You can also wipe the door gasket with a dry towel after each use to prevent water and moisture to build up inside.
- Also, you can try removing the filter where food particles and leftover food gets collected in order to prevent food buildup. Additionally, you can try cleaning the dishwasher by running it empty to remove most of the food particles.
- Regularly check and inspect the water pipes and water source for possible leakage that increases the moisture inside the dishwasher.
Maintaining cleanliness is very important, not only for our home but also for our family’s health. We try our best to keep our family healthy and safe, and we start it from our home. We go an extra mile just to assure that nothing threatens our health. As an old adage says, health is wealth.